The New Year is here we can’t help but feel inspired. Instead of making New Year’s resolutions this year, celebrate the New Year and all that it brings with it, but still be the same amazing, one-of-a-kind you, only better. By making small, but meaningful action steps, you can better maintain your own wellness journey throughout the entire year ahead. Here’s how.
Why New Year’s Resolutions Don’t Work
90% of all New Year’s Resolutions don’t work. Too often, New Year’s Resolutions are unattainable, pie-in-the-sky goals that set you up for failure. The problem with New Year’s Resolutions is that they’re based on changing your habits, but instead of taking the steps to change old habits and create new ones, many people make their New Year’s resolutions too lofty.
For example, “I am going to work out more,” or “I am going to eat healthier.” Sound familiar? (Us too). Although these are both great goals to have, the problem here is these resolutions are not specific enough. Instead of creating broad statements, break your New Year’s resolutions down into small, actionable steps that you can work to achieve on a daily basis. Here are three of the most commonly made New Year’s resolutions and actionable steps on how you can achieve them this year.
New Year’s Resolution #1: Eat Better
Instead of making a New Year’s resolution to eat healthier, make a list of small, actionable steps that will all add up to help you create a more wholesome daily diet. For instance:
- I will eat 1-3 plant-based meals each week
- I will make a healthy homemade lunch and bring it to work 4 days a week and will only buy my lunch once a week
- I will substitute my 3pm sweet treat for more mindful meals and snacks
These examples are all action-oriented, and you know exactly what you need to do to accomplish them. On their own, they may seem simple, but stick to them over time and they will help you reach your main goal of eating better.
Need some better for you recipe ideas? Check out our arsenal of recipes here.
New Year’s Resolution #2: Exercise More
Whether we are commuting to work or sitting at our desks at the office, many of us sit a lot during the day, so one of your goals this year may be to get in more exercise or even simply, to find a way to move more. Perhaps you decide to:
- Go to one new class at a local studio at least once a month. You can even bring a friend if you don’t want to go alone!
- Go for a walk every afternoon during your lunch break or at home after dinner.
- Workout one extra day per week. Even if that puts your total work out days at one, remember, small steps!
It’s best to create actionable steps that are quantifiable so you can assign an exact number to them, so whether it’s two days at the gym or five days, quantify whenever possible.
New Year’s Resolution #3: Prioritize Self-Care
Many of us would really like to get more sleep and be more mindful throughout the day, so make actionable steps to help you prioritize self-care this New Year.
- Create a sleep routine by powering down all devices one hour before bed then curl up with a mug of tea and a good book or write in your journal before you drift off to dreamland.
- Do some light stretching or gentle yoga poses before bedtime to help you relax and unwind after the day.
- Pay attention to the present moment by putting away your devices when you are with other people.
- Pick one night every week dedicated to you for some self-care. Remember, plans with yourself are plans in themselves!
New Year, Better You
Instead of creating big New Year’s resolution this year, try a new approach by creating small, actionable steps that will help you accomplish your larger goals for the Whole Year ahead. Happy New Year everyone!
What steps are you going to take to reach your goals this year? Show us by tagging us @bfreefoods